Thursday, December 20, 2007

Burning a hole in Selawik

I had a topic all ready for the blog and I thought I could write it today. Now that Christmas preparations are under control, I felt ready to write again. But that was superseded when I heard the church bell ringing and discovered that there was another fire.

The fire appeared to be near the Friends church and Warren went to go help, taking granola bars with him. The girls and I had breakfast, then Warren returned. It is the coldest day we have so far this winter (40 below), and I was a little uncertain for a moment that it was him, since I have never seen so much ice on his face before. "The church is burning and there is nothing we can do" he announced and we cried together.

As many of you know the Friends church is the church of Selawik. Though weekly attendance was low, it was the place for weddings, funerals and holiday gatherings. This is a loss that will change a lot about how Selawik runs. I expect the Christmas gathering will be moved to the school gym as it is the only place large enough to hold the village. Please pray for the courage of the people of Selawik. We are all deeply saddened at loss of this house of prayer.

Verity

Church with the parsonage behind and bell beside

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Ken Nash. My wife, michelle, and I were in Selawik from 87-89 and knew you parents, Linda and Wendle Downs. Just happened on your site. My email is knash@numail.org Say hi to your folks.

Ken