Thursday, January 17, 2008

Gospel with a Twisted Tongue

When we came here we understood that we would be doing cross- cultural ministry. So we were interested in learning Inupiaq their native language. However since resources are hard to get and there is no one here that we couldn't speak to in English it didn't seem essential. Still the first spring we were here, Warren got to talk to the Inupiaq teacher at the school and he invited us to come learn. We considered joining the class, but we weren't sure how the school would welcome home schoolers and adult sit-ins. Also we weren't sure when the class was held and where it would fit in our schedule. Gradually we forgot about it.


Then at potluck one Sabbath a couple months ago, the members were all talking in Inupiaq to each other. It seemed that maybe we should try to learn after all, so when Warren introduced me to the teacher at a party, I nudged him. The teacher, Louis Skin encouraged us again to attend. Thus in early December we started to study half an hour a day with one of the kindergarten classes. Warren and I alternate taking the girls so we both can learn.


Inupiaq has a 24 letter alphabet. All of the letters have only one sound, but many of the sounds are new to us and it is difficult for me to hear the difference between some of them. One friend has never learned Inupiaq and says he doesn't have the twisted tongue (His wife says "How can you be Inupiat and not speak Inupiaq?") There are two G's, three N's, and four L's . And some of them aren't the same as English, the T is really a D for example. The girls are doing well though. Abby learned the Inupiaq Pledge of Allegiance in just a few weeks.


I am glad we have finally taken this step, it is really bringing us closer to the people here. One neighbor is excited about our attempt to learn and gives us little vocabulary lessons. Louis tells the girls they will turn to Eskimos. I just wish it hadn't taken us two years to start. It is a good way to join in with the community and make new friends. Naturally, the people we know well are more likely to listen to us when we see opportunities than a stranger who comes to their door. I am learning so much more than Inupiaq, I am learning more of their culture as well. I must get to know the people and how they see the world if I want to share how I see the world. Are you out there learning...to share?


Blessings,

Verity

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, cross-cultural evangelism is a science all its own. I've been reading Adventist Frontiers cover-to-cover for about ten years now and over that time my understanding of this science has changed dramatically. I have become convinced of the need to first see the world through the people's eyes so you can communicate the truth clearly. I wish I could go through the exhaustive training that AF missionaries go through. At least I can read their textbook that one of their missionaries recommended to me: Anthropological Insights for Missionaries by Paul G. Hiebert. If you think it is over your head, just skip the first two chapters. We'll be interested to see how you apply this there.

I'm glad you are working with the eskimos. I was appalled when I researched the SDA Church in Canada and discovered there are hardly any churches north of the 55th parallel.