Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Freedom in Bankruptcy

Lately, my mind has been exercised on the subject of forgiveness. It strikes me that sometimes we forget that we even need to forgive when we feel very hurt. It is such a blind spot at times that if someone reminds of the need to forgive and the benefit to us if we do we feel the other person's actions are being condoned and we, the victim, are being attacked. I have had a lot of stuff happen to me yet seems that maybe it is easier to notice our need to forgive the "unforgivable" because of the pain it causes us than the little things that happen everyday. If we decide that some things are "unforgivable" how are we ever going to forgive the little things?


I believe the biggest reason for unforgiveness is not seeing ourselves in the light of the sacrifice of Jesus. We need to fully realize our depravity. I can not think of one sin I have not committed, no, not even one - from sins against God, against others, and against my own mind and body. If a person understand who they really are inside as well as how much God loves and forgives them, they will not be able to hold anything against someone else not matter how great the hurt. This is the reason why we can't be forgiven if we don't forgive. If we don't forgive, we don't feel our need and thus can't confess our sin and ask for forgiveness

I am not denying the difficulty of forgiveness at times, but God is able to help us when we understand the necessity of it and ask him to change our hearts. Knowing that we have nothing makes us free to receive the gifts of love, joy, and peace Jesus offers us, and life becomes a marvelous adventure.

No comments: